Google+ Adventures with Baby Boo Bear: DIY Baby Food

Sunday, June 2, 2013

DIY Baby Food

Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist, dietitian or expert in this matter.  These are just my opinions/experiences!

For a lot of new Mom's making your own baby food can be a daunting task!

Fortunately I wasn't one of them.  I jumped right in!  I was excited to know exactly what was going into Emmett's baby food.   It was definitely concerning to me that these jars containing "nutrition" for our babes could sit on the shelf for months yet they claim to have no ingredients other than the fruit/vegetable and water?  I don’t think so.

Now, don't get me wrong.  There is nothing wrong with using premade baby food.  There are certain things we use from a jar/pouch.  However, we are very fortunate that I have the time to make the majority of Emmett's baby food being on maternity leave.  So I do.

This is a quick glimpse into a morning of my baby food making adventures!
Started at 8:37 A.M.
 
Prepping this week:
Sweet Potatoes
Apples
Acorn Squash
Butternut Squash
Pears
Apricots
Carrots
 
New this week: Butternut Squash and Apricots. 
Not pictured: Bananas - pureed bananas give Emmett really bad stomach aches.  Instead we use whole bananas as part of Baby Led Weaning (BLW), which we use part-time.  He usually takes a few bites and the rest ends up as banana mush.  In his hands, high chair, clothes, hair, the dog...you get the picture.
Carrots & pears boiling, sweet potatoes and butternut squash ready for the blender!
 
I generally get the carrots in the pot and the root vegetables in the oven first.  They take the longest to cook.  Fruit usually boils/steams in a few minutes.
 
Once the food is soft I throw it in the fridge for a while to cool off before pureeing...nothing like the vacuum seal effect!

 
We have a Baby Bullet.  It is a decent, okay, not good blender.  It does work but I find that unless your stuff is very watered down it takes FOREVER!
 
I prefer my Ninja.  Plus it's much bigger.
 
 
Finished!  Well it isn't all frozen yet but I need to get more trays! 
This will make approximately 2-3 weeks worth of food.  I think it cost about $15 and everything except the two squashes is organic. 
 
Time finished: 10:14 A.M.
 
 
There ya go!  How I spent Emmett's Saturday morning nap.
 
Now, off to enjoy the rest of the weekend adventure on this cloudy Sunday!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment